Diana and I obviously love delicious things, but we kinda like things a little more when they’re beautiful. These live up to the hype of being equally tasty and gorgeous and we are so excited to share these with you all after we ate each and every one while testing and shooting this recipe. Try them out; you won’t be disappointed.
These are the ideal treat to bring to a friend’s holiday party, work potluck or add to your holiday table. They put a spin on the basics — adding cardamom to the pastry cream and switching up the fruit. We love berries, but we’d rather save those for when strawberries actually taste like strawberries. None of those bland December imports, please! (We also like doing these with port-poached pears — just shoot us an email and we’ll give you the details on those.) These come together quickly and just require a few minutes of active cooking. Prep it all in advance and enjoy some egg nog or mulled wine; that’s what the holiday’s are all about. In the word’s of Diana, these tarts are screaming: make me, eat me, love me.
ab + DZ
- 1 recipe of our pastry dough or enough dough to produce two pies, rolled ¼” thick
- 1 recipe cardamom pastry cream
- 4 plums, thinly sliced -- or your favorite seasonal fruit!
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup pistachios, minced
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line tart shells with pastry dough, pressing against the tart shells -- make sure to be gentle so you don’t tear the dough. Dock the bottom of the tarts with a fork. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the dough is just starting to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Fill cooled shells with cooled pastry cream. Arrange plum slices on top -- make them instagram-worthy! Glaze the top with honey to help them stay in place and look shiny. Sprinkle with pistachios to finish.
- Ingredients can be made 2 days in advance, or assembled and enjoyed for up to 2 days.
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream and milk on low heat. In a medium bowl, whisk together yolks, sugar and flour -- this will help prevent your eggs from scrambling in the pastry cream. When heavy cream and milk have started to simmer, slowly whisk into the bowl with yolk mixture. Once combined, return to the pan and stir constantly over medium heat until pastry cream has thickened. Off the heat, add butter, vanilla and cardamom. Set aside in a bowl and cover, pressing plastic wrap directly onto the surface to ensure a skin does not form.