Let’s call this what it is: all of our favorite things in a bowl! Diana would probably add a fried egg to make that statement true for her, but still, it’s a bowl of really great things. It’s the perfect quick lunch, picnic snack or full dinner if you add some rotisserie chicken or grilled skirt steak. It is a balance of simple and elegant and delightfully disheveled, just like it’s name!
This salad came to be when my friend Liz and I watched the original Grey Gardens documentary, drank wine and ate this most days for about a month one summer. Instead of asking what we’d be eating for lunch, she would request “Grey Gardens Salad” like it was a signature dish, of sorts. And so it was…
Enjoy the combination of delicious things we love, or make your favorite substitutions; pickled shallots for red onions are pretty great and nixing the feta and topping it with cold burrata is also not so terrible. You can catch us devouring it out of jars at Cinespia in LA or at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. Make it your own bowl of creative happiness; Little Edie would want you to.
- 2 avocados
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces Feta, crumbled
- 1 english cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil, about 1/4 cup
- Cut avocado in half, remove the pit and cut in ½ inch pieces. Add
- avocado to tomato halves, crumbed feta, cucumber and red onion. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and
- pepper, to taste.