YAY FALL! Our island-baby Diana is obsessed with fires, sweaters, a chill in the air and all the roasted veggies one can have so we celebrate by turning our ovens on for lots of roasting and braising. To update our fall salad from last year, we are making this a grain bowl for all those people that love salad but want more of the stuff and less of the greens — you know who you are and we embrace you. This bowl features a blend of beautiful wild rice and millet but feel free to use whatever grains you love or have on hand. We chose these because they’re gluten-free, have great texture and hold up well for leftovers. Same deal with the veggies; we are loving super sexy roasted beets and are not in a position to ever resist delicata squash but you do you at the farmers’ market and roast away!
Obviously, toasted hazelnuts are amazing, so they’re going on top plus adding greens to the dressing keeps it all light. Kale and arugula pesto is earthy and peppery and you’ll be slathering it on sandwiches, stirring it into soups and dipping bread into it all season long. Diana says, “you will make this and love it and then you will be happy” and I trust her on these things so you should, too.
ab + DZ
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup millet
- 1 small delicata squash, cut in 1/4 inch half moons
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 1 bunch of beets -- we mixed red and chiogga. If you need to Instagram them, make sure they're pretty!
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- kosher salt and pepper, as needed
- 3 to 5 ounces beautiful baby greens -- we like baby kale and arugula to keep in tune with the dressing
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- kale and arugula pesto, as needed
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add wild rice, tossing to toast for about 2 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and simmer for about 45 minutes. Rest, covered, for about 10 minutes undisturbed.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a small saucepan over medium heat. Add millet, tossing to toast for about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and simmer for about 15 minutes. Rest, covered, for about 10 minutes undisturbed.
- Toss vegetables in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on separate trays for about 30 to 45 minutes until the squashes are brown and the beets are fork-tender. Cover beets for about 10 minutes so they steam. The skins will easily peel off; cut in 1/2 inch dice.
- Combine wild rice and millet. Add to a large bowl. Top with baby kale, roasted vegetables and toasted hazelnuts. Dress with kale and arugula pesto. Eat up!
- 4 cups shredded and packed curly kale, wash and dried, ribs removed
- 2 cups arugula, washed and dried
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- zest and juice of one lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a food processor or blender, blend until smooth.